The keyring password annoyance

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Fri Sep 29 08:07:47 UTC 2006

A good many bugs were filed against this already (174467,172555 and
duplicates). I find it a great annoyance having to enter 2 passwords
instead of 1 to log into my desktop system (the login + the
NetworkManager keyring access). Since a great many people use encrypted
wifi, I have a feeling this is going to cause a barrage of complaints
when FC6 is out.

Are there plans to try to address this problem before FC6 is out ?
174467 mentions this is a hard problem to solve system-wide (shared key
across all users), but I think we should tackle one problem at a time,
and at least preventing the dual password on a per-user basis is the
first step.

There is a recently orphaned package in Extras called pam_keyring that
apparently addresses this. Should it be considered for inclusion into
Core and enabled by default ?

-denis