WIRELESS 0.3

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Sep 30 19:20:23 UTC 2006

lør, 30 09 2006 kl. 12:01 -0700, skrev Frank S.:
> Hi thank you for your reply, I do not have a lot of problem with
> wireless cards, but why we have to make it harder to people starting
> to use LINUX, It seams that other Distros do NOT have this problems
> about legal or they are not afraid (Ubuntu, freespire, SLED 10, Mepis,
> and others) the problem is that there are to many Distros and when
> people have problems with one they do not bother to fix the problem
> they just try another Distro, If we want to make Fedora Core Bigger we
> have to start thinking in a diff. way.

And if other people jumped off a cliff would you follow them?

There's a good reason why we don't include drivers that aren't upstream,
they haven't gone through peer review or were not considered ready yet.
As for closed source or legally doubious stuff it will never have a
place in Fedora Core, we value freedom. Yes it's sad that we thus
temporarily lose a tad of functionality to those distros that claim to
be free but ship ati/nvidia/ndiswrapper/madwifi and the likes.

The only way everyone wins is if drivers get into the kernel upstream.

Now this policy bites me as well, I have a wifi UDB thingy that's only
supported by the out of tree ralink driver, but I will wait till it's
upstream, I tried it on Ubuntu as they ship it and by pure magic when I
plug my dongle in the keyboard stops responding after a while (oh and
still no wireless network). Is this really better than following the
strict upstream guideline?

- David Nielsen