Future New Init for FC7?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Apr 1 23:05:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 00:47 +0200, Mark wrote:
> oh.. sad to hear that..
> will that be a new init stuff be in for FC8? (yea.. fedora can really
> use a startup boost :P default installation takes a full minute to
> start)

It's a popular misconception that boot time can be "boosted" by just
replacing SysVinit with something else. The biggest bang for the buck
actually comes from fixing readahead so it reads all the files it needs,
without making the disk seek; see [1] for some old experiments I did 2.5
years ago. The good news, however, is that the readahead maintainer is
working on this; see fedora-devel-list archives for discussion.

     David

[1] : http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg01374.html