sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Apr 5 17:20:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:21:14PM +0200, Trond Danielsen wrote:

> Ok, maybe it was a bad example. My point is that there is a
> distinction between low level stuff such as kernels, init system and
> other basic software, and applications such as wm's and mua's. There
> is not problem to provide two or more different email clients, as
> there affect each other very little. But something like the init
> system would have an impact on all packages that depend on it. That is

Indeed, it is more risky, but once more it is the user responsibility
to install and activate those init systems. I really can't see why
a different init system than the default shouldn't be shipped. Now an
init system may not be of enough quality to enter in fedora, but if
it is not the case I really can't see the issue.

To come back at the example of gnash, at some point (because of some X
bug) gnash crashed X almost systematically. Was it a reason not to
provide it? We chosed to provide it in devel, add wordings of caution
and cautiously add it to the releases when the nasty bug was solved. I
can't see why other init systems shouldn't be treated like that.

Also this conversation is somehow pointless, because new init systems
can already enter fedora (there is already initng) and there is nothing
in the guidelines preventing that, so...

--
Pat