hal + pam update errors

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:55:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 15:40 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 15:25 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:09:42PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > For another problem of orphaned/dead packages we discussed an additional
> > > metadata type for dead-packages that should be removed from folks'
> > > systems if they're found. That might be the only workable solution. We
> > > could get arch and evr specific with that if implemented sanely.
> > > ThoughtS?
> >
> > I started working on a yum plugin for this. But then I got distracted.
> >

> post what you have. It's a start.
>
> If this is the path we want to go I'll get on it asap, it shouldn't be
> overly much code - mostly like installonlyn but just querying some extra
> metadata.

After talking to a few folks this sounds like the way we're going to
have to go. A plugin which lets us tell yum 'remove these if you find
them'.

it steps around the arch-specific obsoletes need. If/when rpm gets that
added in and stable we can disable the plugin and worry about it no
more! :)

I was trying to figure out what would be a reasonable file format and
unless we're planning on doing something tricky  it might make sense to
have a simple flatfile in the metadata

pkgname-v-r.arch
pkg2-v-r.arch
pkg3-v-r.*

and just have yum add those pkgs, if they exist, to the list of ones to
remove from the users' system.

I think it would make sense for the plugin to catch and ignore things
like:
a*
b*
*
ab*
?*

etc.

I need some feedback though, things I'm forgetting?

-sv