sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Apr 6 09:41:55 UTC 2007

Le Ven 6 avril 2007 11:35, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :

> For a alternatively init system to properly work with the system
> requires all packages that provide init scripts to also provide a
> different one for each different init system that we have in the
> repository unless they have a SysV init compatibility mode.

multi-init would work if the init "script" syntax was purely declarative.
This is the problem already discussed in "make init scripts %config"
thread

Since SysV is badly designed, multi-init can only work if all the new
projects agree on a common non implementation-adherent declarative syntax
for services. And if Fedora dumps SysV

--
Nicolas Mailhot