JBoss and Fedora

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Fri Apr 6 16:30:25 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
> Le vendredi 06 avril 2007 à 11:07 +0100, Andrew Haley a écrit :
> > Nicolas Mailhot writes:
> >  >
> >  > the consensus seems to be it's more efficient to wait for the
> >  > actual Java 7 SUN GPL release than make gcj feature-complete enough
> >  > for JBoss.
> >
> > Really?  The consensus among whom?  I wonder what that's based on.
>
> The consensus as expressed by the Fedora Java team on this list in the
> past

I cannot remember that being the consensus. Which team member said that? Are you
sure you are speaking for all the hackers that work on libre java for Fedora?

Sure, if Sun manages to release their full java implementation under the GPL
that will be great. But they have already said that won't happen, there are
parts they will just not be able to liberate because their "partners" won't let
them. Most parts will and I am sure the community will try to help out with
liberating the encumbered parts. We had a pretty constructive meeting at Fosdem
to discuss some upcoming issues:
http://www.fosdem.org/2007/schedule/tracks/gnuclasspathopenjdkdevjam

But at the same time we need to support our current users, we care about more
platforms than just x86/x86_64 that Sun might deliver. And the work on fedora,
gcj and jboss is in full gear:
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2007/03/30/fedora-7-test-3/
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2007/04/04/gcj-jboss-ahoy/

Cheers,