sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Derek Tracy tracyde at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:33:00 UTC 2007

On 4/6/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>

> > You cannot say that for packagers. Packagers may be interested in that
> > work. If we forbid new init systems we prevent interested people to do
> > the job.
>
> Are you suggesting that all packagers would be interested in providing
> alternative versions of the required init scripts for all different init
> scripts systems?
>
> > Why? If people are interested, they will make it scale.
>
> The problem happens when people are not interested. We would end up
> having init script systems which don't work properly because the
> packages dont provide init scripts except for the default init script
> system. When end users find more such packages in the repository (which
> do not know is experimental), the level of trust on the quality of the
> repository goes down. More choices without proper integration and
> testing is bad.
>
> The question here is: What do you propose to guarantee better
> integration for all the different init scripts?

I think the best way to attack this issue would be with a wrapper
script.  The packagers can still use their current init scripts, just
have the wrapper script run after the package is installed and convert
the packagers init script to the format of the installed init system.

Just a thought, this may seem like a crude hack, but it really would
allow the most flexibility.

-- R/S
Derek Tracy
tracyde at gmail.com