Provides: MTA and smtpdaemon?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 11:49:35 UTC 2007

On Sunday 08 April 2007 16:08:12 Ville Skyttä wrote:
> I thought that a Provides: smtpdaemon would mean a service that runs a
> local SMTP service daemon and Provides: MTA something sendmail command line
> compatible that can send mail; filed some bugs, but it appears that there
> are some disagreement over their purposes.

Hrm, I always thought they were hooked up with alternatives and could supply
the role of sendmail should you want something else.  I thought most our
software that sends mail out has a generic require on mta with the assumption
that should something be brought in via the mta requirement that it would set
up alternatives correctly and operate in an expected way.  In my opinion
these are not simple Provides for just anything that could handle mail.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora