JBoss and Fedora

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 10:23:41 UTC 2007

Fernando Nasser writes:
 > Timothy Spaulding wrote:
 > > What's going on with the JBoss acquisition?  Are there plans in place to get JBoss packaged with
 > > Fedora and released as an open source product?  Any insights?
 > >

 > This is a multipart question:
 >
 > 1) Open source
 >
 > It always has been, as far as I remember at least
 >
 > 2) Packaged as RPMs
 >
 > Available since times immemorial at www.jpackage.org
 >
 > 3) Fedora
 >
 > Although you can use the JPackage.org RPMs with proprietary JDKs (maybe
 > even with GCJ, I haven't tried), what you want is a set of RPMs
 > pre-compiled with GCJ and bundled with Fedora.
 >
 > While I can't tell if that is in the plans, I can tell that it needs
 > maven2 and that will come in Fedora 7.  So, at least for Fedora 7+ there
 > is hoe.  For FC6 and previous there is no chance.

Seems reasonable.  Actually building JBoss from source will be harder
than running it from the tarballs available from
http://labs.jboss.com/portal/ .  gcj isn't missing anything that JBoss
requires, but there are bugs in gcj's class library that need first to
be fixed.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903