Did i just made the fastest dependency checker in the world? (198 packages in 1.5 seconds)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Apr 10 23:55:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 11:38:39PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> >You could do that. But, do you really want your program coming up with
> >different answers than the standard tools?
> if the "standard tools" are using logic that`s just no logic than yes
> someone needs to make a change

Well, the difficult part here is: that logic is what is used in all of the
packages for which you're trying to calculate. Therefore, using any other
scheme, no matter how much better in some objective sense, just plain won't
work. It might work for a *new* distribution designed around your new logic,
but that's no help for Fedora,

Additionally, as someone else noted, the versioning schemes used in real
packages out in the world are often crazy too -- and in some cases, 1.11 is
greater than 1.2 (because 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ... 1.9, 1.10, 1.11) and in others
it's less (because 1.0, 1.01, 1.02 ... 1.1, 1.11, 1.12 ... 1.2). No matter
how clever you make the code, there's no good way to deal with that -- so
might as well pick some way and be consistent. Which is what we've got.

> This isn't really a issue for fedora core development list, well, until
> >you have a drop in replacement for yum (which might be a little while
> >off I think).

I don't think the above is quite fair -- developing tools for Fedora is
certainly on topic. Even for non-advanced programmers.