readahead could use a update

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Apr 11 12:50:44 UTC 2007

At 9:41 AM +0200 4/11/07, Karel Zak wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 07:59:33PM +0200, Mark wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> i just wanted to speed up firefox and i saw that the 1.5.0.9 lines are still
>> in readahead, but not 2.0.0.3
>
> My plan is to generate new readahead lists, but few days before
> development freeze.
>
>> and i`m sure there are more things in readahead that i didn`t saw yet.
>>
>> btw.. firefox is real fast when added to readahead :)

I used to do that each update withthe help of a bit of command line code,
until I timed readahead.  My timing tests of booting to the desktop with FF
open showed no difference in the /total/ time, whether or not readahead was
enabled.  At that point I added FF to my session so it opens automatically
now.

None of my tests showed any benefit to readahead.  Readahead just moves
time around.  I was quite surprised.