DeltaRPM works great on Fedora Core 6 (yum presto plugin)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 18:51:31 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 14:25:23 Till Maas wrote:
> With the plugin already beeing in Fedora Extras 6, the feature is already
> there.

Which is kind of a shame since it doesn't work for devel and thus there is a
broken feature path.  This is why new things should go into devel first, and
be backported/built if possible.  If we set an expectation that this works in
FC6 and then it stops working, perhaps badly in F7 that is a very poor user
experience.

> Also Nearly every new Extras package is also built for the supported
> releases and not only for devel, so there are always new features and
> functionality in stable releases.

Which is another thing I'm not exactly comfortable with.  Especially for
things like yum plugins which have the potential to break many things on the
system in very user unfriendly ways.

> And when the plugin is tested in devel,
> then the delta rpms and mirror layout has to be generated, too.

Not necessarily.  Testing can be continued with with another test repo until
the plugin and the delta generation code is more stable and less likely to
break, then we can start applying it to the master mirror.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora