A couple of serious questions

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:07:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 11:56 +0100, Rui Tiago Matos wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So install nut, acpid and cpufreqd and edit the configuration files
> > yourself. You can't get the point-at-click power saving without some
> > sort of desktop environment.
>
> Don't need to be so harsh Richard

Ohh, it wasn't meant to be harsh, sorry if it came out like that.

> if done right with a nice D-Bus API a policy enforcing daemon can be
> pretty much scriptable or configured from an init script as asked as
> well as used from any other kind of UI. It may be an utopian view but
> we will get there, yay :-)

I'm not sure what policy you would want to script really. DPMS is likely
set to off, you don't have lids on servers, and you really don't want a
server auto-suspending on idle :-)

You can't also change the brightness, and makes little sense to run a
server with laptop-mode. You probably don't want a server to immediately
power off or hibernate when you press the power button, so I'm really
not sure what a server version of g-p-m would do...

Richard.