A couple of serious questions

Vlad vladc6 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 16:30:57 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> And moving the back-ends to somewhere central (e.g. fd.o)
> and adding the front-ends to the actual desktop projects
> (e.g. GNOME, KDE) is what we really want.

There are some distro-specific utilities that probably won’t find a
home in fd.o. Notable examples include the Anaconda installer, package
manager, X.org configurator, user account manager, mountpoint
configurator, etc. It is up to the distro to create desktop-specific
frontends for these utilities.  Some distros like K/Ubuntu are
proceeding in a _systematic_ manner to separate function from GUI
presentation while at the same time ensuring that the KDE frontend is
just as comprehensive as the GNOME frontend.

Fedora’s attitude seems to be: “Forget KDE distro integration, we’re
not going to bother”. But I’d love to be proven wrong :)

Vlad

PS: As others have pointed out, these concerns also apply to ncurses
frontends (or lack thereof) on servers.