Yum-presto 0.3.9 - FC6 *and* Rawhide

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 08:04:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 08:43 +0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> The way I see it, the function is more like
>
>     d = n - 1
>
> Slightly simpler. For every version of a package, we would need to be
> able to update from any previous version, to the current version. I
> don't think it makes sense to be able to have deltas for updating to a
> non-current version, so i guess my suggestion to "keep all possible
> deltas" is inaccurate in this way. What I meant was "keep all possible
> deltas, allowing a user to update from any previous version to the current".
>
> Michael Wiktowy had a perhaps even better suggestion elsewhere in this
> thread, that would further reduce the number of deltas kept, by dropping
> previous deltas (other that current minus one -> current and original ->
> current) after a period of time.
>
> /Thomas

At the moment, I'm creating deltarpms for *each* possible older version
and I'm not pruning old drpms at all.  Updates drpms for FC6 (which has
every DRPM that would have been made if I'd started from the release
date) currently is 968M.  I'm not sure what it will be once I write some
code to prune old drpms.

Someone else asked about the format of the diff, etc.  Deltarpms can be
combined quite easily. For example you might have a deltarpm for
foo-1.0=>1.1 and a deltarpm for foo-1.1=>1.2.  You can combine the two
into foo-1.0=>1.2 and it will be roughly the same size as if you ran
makedeltarpm foo-1.0 foo-1.2.  This means that we don't *have* to keep
old rpms around to create deltarpms.  We just have to have the latest
rpm for each package + old drpms.

I will write whatever needs to be written to make pruning work, etc.
I'm just not quite there yet.

Jonathan