do we need .pyo files?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 16:36:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 11:32 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I'm admittedly not a low-level python guru, but I think its worth asking
> the question: Do we need .pyo files in our python packages?

If we don't generate them, then they get generated at runtime if you run
any python app/scripts with -O2 (either explicitly, or via the #! at the
top).  This then either tries to write to /usr and fails, generates
avcs, or any of a number of other such things.

It's far better to generate them (and add the hardlinking optimization
for where they're the same) than to not have them on the system and then
have them trying to be generated.

Jeremy