Why nobody uses vnc module to X?

Timothy Pickering tim at mmto.org
Mon Apr 16 20:54:05 UTC 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:05 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
>> On 27/03/07, Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I'm really surprised that nobody uses vnc's rawhide module to X.
>>> Module
>>> was completely unusable since 2nd March (got sigsegv) and no
>>> bugreport
>>> came to me :( .
>>
>> I do the occasional anaconda/vnc install, but after installation for
>> remote sessions I tend to use X/SSH tunnels for improved security,
>> and
>> less hassle with other people's firewalls.
>
> This uses the stand-alone vncserver, not the vnc X module.
>
> Jeremy

i'll chime in and state that we here at the MMT use the X vnc.so
module heavily for remote engineering support of our systems on the
mountain.  it saves a lot of grief to be able to just connect in and
see/manipulate the telescope operator's desktop exactly as they see
it.  the vnc.so module is a lot easier to set up once and forget
whereas the other options require operators to modify a bunch of
stuff within their desktop config.  we tried those and they were not
very reliable due to those user config issues.  we, of course, keep
the vnc ports we used well-firewalled and require ssh tunneling to
connect.

i have not yet had a chance to try out vnc.so in FC7t* or rawhide,
though.  we have not had any problems with FC6 or any previous
version that included vnc.so (since FC1 or 2?).  i will certainly
squawk if it does stop working or goes away before FC7.  it, in fact,
would likely be a deal-breaker for us that would prevent us from
using FC7 if it did go away.

tim

|  T. E. Pickering, Ph.D.            |              MMT Observatory  |
|  Assoc. Staff Scientist            |           933 N. Cherry Ave.  |
|  tim at mmto.org  (520) 626-3755      |             Tucson, AZ 85721  |