packaging and binary incompatibility coming from the compiler

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 13:24:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 06:42:06AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> In this case I think we need a different SONAME for libfoo.so,
> but how it looks like should result from discussions with upstream.
> It can be libfoo.so.14, libfoo.so.13gfortran, libfoo_gfortran.so.13
> or something, whatever upstream prefers.

That's exactly what I was looking for, much thanks. In my precise case
upstream doesn't ship shared libs, and it  is more with the debian
maintainer that there is coordination.

I think it would be nice, in the future, to have guidance for
packagers when there is a change in compiler generated library ABI like
the g77 -> gfortran change or past C++ ABI breakage I remember. If I
recall well these issues were more or less announced, but not
necessarily with enough precisions for the maintainers. I don't know
exactly who should be responsible of such things, but it would be nice
to have some information.

--
Pat