Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 17 15:45:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 16:14 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> So please change the default video player to totem or something else,
> just NOT kamboodle because it just doesn't work and it sucks GUI vise.

It is totem in the default spin.  I think you picked the KDE spin, and
the KDE folks are working very hard on things.  Cut them some slack
before you decide to rant and rave and make an ass of yourself.  There
is a reason it's called a test release.

> Regarding proprietary video codecs RedHad developers just say
> something like this: "We talked with out lawyers and they said no."
> Ok? And? Where can we see this discussion? I know that you can't put
> MP3 support in fedora, but that you can't even put an link for some
> European server that has all the codecs? Lawyers say that RedHat can
> be sued even for puting links that enable multimedia. Ok, maybe I
> believe it but it is maybe possible that some one would sue, but
> hardly win that case.
>
> But there are legal ways around that, you can put a text saying that
> it is legal to enable multimedia codecs only if you live in a country
> that doesn't have software patents - like I do.

codec-buddy was supposed to have something that pointed you to legal
ways to get the codecs.  It has yet to materialize.

> It is possible if you want it - Ubuntu has shown that because they
> will be doing just that, and even a step beyond that. Ubuntu will have
> a Ubuntu for European market and other countries that don't have
> software patents (my country doesn't!) with all multimedia codecs
> embedded within the distro!

Good for Ubuntu.  Red Hat is a US based company and therefore must abide
by US law.

josh