perl package split - if you maintain a perl-* module, read this message.

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 16:00:52 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> writes:

> On Monday 16 April 2007, Robin Norwood wrote:
>
>> Since perl is already assumed to be in the buildroots, and these
>> packages are all split from the main 'perl' package, we aren't adding
>> new software to the buildroots, just shuffling things around a bit.  For
>> F8, we'll get the perl packages BuildRequires 'fixed' to include these
>> packages, which we can then remove from the buildroots.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> The F7/devel build roots have already had the split package set for a while,
> and more than a few (build)dependent packages have been fixed already, right?
> Just wondering if instead of adding those newly split packages it would be
> better to just leave things as they are now and let rest of the affected
> packages have their build deps fixed over time whenever they get their next
> updates for whatever reason.

Well, the buildroots currently have 'perl-devel' because we made 'perl'
Require 'perl-devel' - which is obviously wrong for the long term, but
in the short term fixed the builds.  What we're doing now is further
splitting things out so there will be more packages, *and* removing the
Requires.  There's been some further discussion on
fedora-perl-devel-list about this, and the alternative is to *not* add
the new packages to the buildroots, and just have people fix their
packages.  Not to be a total weathervane here, but personally I'd just
as soon not add the packages to the buildroots, and fix the broken
packages now.  I just don't feel like I have enough of a feel for which
option people will prefer to make a call.  So, if you have an opinion,
speak up now.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood