contributing a software through bugzilla

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Apr 28 03:17:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 21:53 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 12:49 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> >> Do we really have reviews stalled for years?
>
> > Yes, I withdrew two packages of mine after they had been lingering
> > around in the queue for 14 months and turned away from fedora to
> > shipping them via a 3rd party repo, instead.
>
> I can attest that doing so (3rd party repo) can greatly help the process
> because the packages get more users, field-testing, feedback.  These
> same users may end up being interested enough in helping with a formal
> review.
The problem for me is:
1) 3rd party repos mean a tremendous effort
2) 3rd party repos means not being able to ship them for all Fedora
architectures.
3) The packages also have a Windows based user-base.

Having them in Fedora would have avoided 1), 2).

It also would have helped the upstream projects behind the packages and
would have helped to decrease 3) - Fedora missed this opportunity.

Ralf