Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Apr 28 14:00:36 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer schrieb:
>>> Fedora Repo N -> repository with all the packages
>>> Fedora Linux N -> the Linux Distribution that was known as Prime
>> Hm, I don't think 'Linux' really conveys the information that these are
>> the _core_ packages on the install media, rather than the extra stuff
>> you might install later from the network (or extra DVDs or whatever).
>> I suppose 'Repo' is a little more suited to its task, but the core stuff
>> is still in a repository on the install media (and elsewhere) too, so
>> that name isn't ideal either.
>>
>> We really want some names which convey the distinction between the Core
>> stuff and the Extra bits.

As jwb wrote: each spin has a different "core" set... And, btw, Users
IMHO should not care where the packages come from.

>Got any better ideas?

No. Well, maybe something else shows up.

> No, we don't.  The Core stuff and Extra bits are intermingled between
> spins.  It varies.  And there's the Everything spin.
>
> Naming sucks.

Agreed -- but referencing three things (Repo as a whole, the Distro that
gets made from the Repo and the Project itself) under the name "Fedora"
sucks even more IMHO and just creates confusion ;-)

Cu
thl