Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 16:03:43 UTC 2007

> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Monday 30 April 2007 07:54:16 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> I already told you. This reasoning is flawed. The KDE live cd is not one
> >> to showcase a "pure KDE desktop" just the GNOME live cd. It has Firefox
> >> as the default browser just like GNOME.  It has dozens of GNOME
> >> components. It might even have Evolution.
> >
> > And yet it is specifically KDE, while the Fedora Live CD is specifically....
> > Fedora.
>
> And you don't consider KDE to be part of Fedora? KDE Live is mostly KDE
> programs and some GNOME, some GTK and other programs just like GNOME
> live cd. It has never been about purity of the desktop environment. Just
> different focus. Both of the desktop environments are part of Fedora.
> The GNOME live images are not anymore specifically about Fedora than the
> KDE live images.
>
>   The Desktop environment that Fedora wants to put forward as the
> > default, the best foot forward.
>
> No. It's the desktop environment the GNOME team should be putting it's
> best foot forward. The KDE team should be putting it's best foot forward
> via the KDE live images (same for XFCE or fluxbox or whatever teams) and
> we in the Fedora project should be giving both these teams *neutral
> ground* to compete aggressively and fairly on winning over new users.

If that's the case, then we should *NEVER* provide defaults about
anything.  Doing so means that we're not giving a neutral ground.  But
that'll confuse our users?  Oh well, they're not important. </sarcasm>

Please, this is ridiculous.  We have to provide defaults and we have to
do what we can *AS FEDORA* to have what we consider to be the best
defaults and then guide users towards that.  Alternatives exist and it's
not like we're going out of our way to make things difficult for
them[1].  But the simple fact of the matter is that they're _not_ the
defaults of Fedora; the Fedora Live image is very very close to exactly
what you get if you do an install and select the defaults[2].  _THAT_ is
why it's called Fedora Live and why the KDE one is the Fedora KDE Live
image.  Not because one is GNOME and one is KDE.  If we changed what was
installed by default to be twm, then Fedora Live would follow that.

Jeremy

[1] In fact, I think that we're making things a lot easier for them with
the tools, etc in F7.
[2] The differences are a) no OOo purely due to space considerations b)
all locales c) a few other packages that are large-ish don't get
installed again for space considerations