Fedora 7 presentation (was Re: Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93))

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 30 16:15:19 UTC 2007

Max Spevack wrote:

> ========
>
> GET FEDORA 7
>
> There are several versions of Fedora 7 available, depending on your
> usage needs and technical skills.
>
> I am a basic desktop user (web browsing, office documents, etc.).
>     --> We send them to the "Fedora 7 Live CD", the one based on Gnome
>
> I am a developer who wants a general purpose workstation (desktop,
> programming tools, etc.).
>     --> We send them to the spin "Fedora 7", previously called Prime

I still don't consider the name "Fedora 7" is not distinct enough for a
spin. If a user saying I installed the Fedora 7 release he could very
well be referring to one of the other spins instead. Other than I would
drop "previously called Prime" part since that was used only in test
releases and the wider audience wouldn't have heard about it.

> I am an advanced user who wants to be able to pick and choose from all
> available Fedora packages.
>     --> We send them to the spin "Fedora 7 Everything"
>
> I am an expert, and I want to build my own custom spin of Fedora.
>     --> We send them to docs that explain how.
>
> I am a curious user, and I want to browse/download custom Fedora spins
> that other people or groups have created.
>     --> We send them to a page, which includes the KDE Live CD, and
>         other custom spins that the Board has blessed.

This kinda makes the KDE Live CD live in a obscure corner which I don't
prefer. I understand the need to avoid confusion. My alternative
suggestion is:

I am a basic desktop user (web browsing, emails etc)
     -> Fedora GNOME Live images
I am a basic desktop user who prefers KDE
     -> Fedora KDE Live images

Rahul