yum groupremove removes to much!!

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:22:13 UTC 2007

Hey,

I`m running Fedora core Test 2 with the latest updates (so that it`s
basically Test 3 now).
i had some issues with gnome and thought i could probably resolve it by
completely removing all of gnome and than re-install it. so i did:

yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"

and yum started removing.. (over 200 packages!!)

now it didn`t just remove all of gnome but also ALL OF KDE (i had KDE
installed aswell) and all the gnome development tools that i had installed..
is that normal?
when it finished i rebooted and after that i updated my entire system with:
yum -y update

after the update i did another reboot
after that i installed gnome using:
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment" (-y)
and now it`s just installing a little more than 100 packages..
that leaves another 100 packages that are being removed when you remove
gnome but not being reinstalled.. now i think that they shouldn`t be
reinstalled because they have nothing to do with gnome but they shouldn`t
have been deleted in the first place.

this is not a big problem for me.. just though i pointed it out here.
btw.. dependency resolving seems to go alot faster now.. though i still see
ALOT of double checks... (as in packages that are being checked again while
they are already checked)