Future New Init for FC7?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 2 22:50:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 22:27 +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> By using dynamic dependencies and an event driven design, you avoid
> running most init scripts altogether.

I'm just saying that don't expect that switching to Upstart will
magically cut 10-15 seconds of your boot time. And, hey, it's not that I
disagree that SysVinit sucks in various ways; I personally think Upstart
is promising because it allows parallel execution plus it will make it
possible to avoid launching a gazillon copies of /bin/sh by have a rule
driven design. That alone is reason enough to switch I think.

> For istance, "bluetooth" is
> useless on systems without a blootooth dongle... and it should be
> launched by hotplug anyway.  It can also makes some scripts
> simpler/shorter.

There is no /etc/hotplug[.d] anymore, you probably mean udev. For the
record I'm working with the Bluez people on launching bluez from hald
for this and other reasons (Bluez will provide services as a HAL addon);
won't make Fedora 7 though.

     David