Future New Init for FC7?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 06:50:05 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> writes:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 22:27 +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> By using dynamic dependencies and an event driven design, you avoid
>> running most init scripts altogether.

> I'm just saying that don't expect that switching to Upstart will
> magically cut 10-15 seconds of your boot time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that sounded like voodoo
economics.

I think our problems are much more localized than that.  In my personal
environment, the single biggest boot-time problem is that netatalk takes
friggin forever (~ 1 min) to sync with an existing Appletalk seed router.
But I don't reboot my Fedora machines often enough to make it worth my
time to track it down ...

			regards, tom lane