rawhide report: 20070403 changes

Don Dutile ddutile at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 15:29:36 UTC 2007

David Cantrell wrote:
>>> Do we even build for Alpha? When was the last time anyone tried it?
>> A better question would be why does Alpha (an arch that has only ever
>> been 64 bit) need multilib?
>
> If only there were someone, maybe at Red Hat, who has experience with
> the Alpha platform.
>

>From a pure Linux perspective, no; from Tru64-Unix perspective, yes;
I did Alpha platform support for approx. 7 years before leaving the mothership.
>From EV4->EV6-NUMA.  Know a fair amount EV7, but left before doing that work.

pciutils requires the use of syscalls to do pci config cycle accesses because
Alpha systems memory-map the PCI config space into it's uber memory address space;
i.e., Alpha *always* did pci-mmconf; it never used io-mapped, address+ data regs
to do PCI config cycles.
Which reminds me, since Alpha doesn't have equiv. iob/w/l instructions, the PCI
IOPort accesses were memory-mapped as well.
Similar stuff/issues with PCI on PPC.

- Don