sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 15:19:53 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 11:05:37 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> That, however seems very wrong to me and, in my opinion, very different
> from the spirit of former fedora extras. Having exotic, in development,
> niche software in fedora is very important to foster rapid development
> and innovation. The developpers should be cautious as to avoid letting
> softwares that are too broken pass from the devel repo to the release,
> but I think that we shouldn't fear from shipping broken software if
> there is an interest among users, they are not the defaults, and they
> are represented as being in development.

This is fine, however what is in development automatically becomes the
release.  Perhaps we need better infrastructure around "skipping" packages
for the release, but that is also bad form for those that are testing rawhide
to see what will be in the release.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora