small bug in pup (package updater)

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 21:24:29 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 05.04.2007, 22:54 +0200 schrieb Mark:
> Hey,
>
> i seem to be on a topic spree today..
> anyway.. i rarely use pup because i want to see the download speeds
> for the packages and want to abort them if needed + i want to see any
> possible errors that occur.

Unix tools should keep quiet unless an error occurs.
If yum fails for some reason, you should know, either through an e-mail
or by some other means.

If you need to watch yum to make sure it works, you should consider
filing a bug to make it more noisy on errors.

> now i just did a update and i noticed that pup isn`t refreshing itself
> to see if there are newer updates or if another program took care of
> the updates..

pup won't notice a yum update. This needs to be bugzillaed.

> i know that you can manually refresh pup but wouldn`t it be better to
> auto refresh pup once every 5 minutes?

Security updates are released every 1440 minutes (daily),
Checking for updates every five minutes is overkill.

> and a pup suggestion.. could it be possible to show the yum output in
> pup (with a expand arrow)?

pup is aimed at making security updates simple for non-technical people.
A lot of technical people seem to want to make pup into a graphical yum,
which means we will later need yet another program that aims to be aimed
at non-technical people.