License problem with JPGraph

Steven Bakker sb at monkey-mind.net
Fri Apr 6 07:55:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 08:17 +0200, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

> I'm the maintainer of JPGraph in Fedora (a php graphing library). I thought
> its licence was QPL by reading this:
> http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/jpdownload.php
> but apparently I misread it and jpgraph is only Free for non-commercial use.
> JPGraph used to be fully QPL a long time ago, but that changed.

Actually, the text reads:

        JpGraph is released under a dual license. QPL 1.0 (Qt Free
        Licensee) For non-commercial, open-source or educational use and
        JpGraph Professional License for commercial use.

So QPL applies for (non-commercial || open-source || educational) use.
I'd say Fedora fits in the "open-source" category.

But yeah, the text is far from clear. Perhaps its better to ask the
authors for clarification. It'd be a pity if a useful package like that
is pulled because of a misunderstanding...

-- Steven