New developer

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 8 13:32:22 UTC 2007

Vlad wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> It is not worth the effort for Anaconda and many other tools.
>
> Sure, if you think KDE users aren't worth having an efficient Fedora
> system.

Don't presume what I think please. What I am claiming is that a bunch of
GTK based tools in a KDE spin of Fedora is better than the time spend
rewriting these tools in QT.

> wastes memory/diskspace, slows down startup time, and leads to
> graphical inconsistencies. For people with low-end hardware that makes
> a huge difference.

I doubt that loading GTK instead of QT makes a big difference. Before we
go down this route let's properly analyze the benefits claimed instead
of having some vague notions.

Wasting memory and disk space: How much exactly?

Look and Feel: Can be mostly solved by http://gtk-qt.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
which there was a plan to provide by default in the KDE spin.

How exactly does it make a huge difference in low end hardware? Provide
benchmarks.

 > That's a suboptimal solution, originating from a lack of foresight in
 > designing those applications to separate the core functionality from
 > the GUI components.

Given that "we lacked foresight" and that the business logic is now not
separated from the UI in many of the tools is it worth rewriting them?

> The only reason I mentioned the lack of KDE frontends for system tools
> in Fedora is that a potential developer with Qt background asked where
> he can help.

... and where I would suggest that there are better easier things to
tackle rather than rewriting Anaconda and system-config* tools. Just ask
the KDE SIG.

Rahul