yum wont upgrade noarch -> arch-specific

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Apr 9 00:32:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 19:13:37 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:

> > Well, as I've shown a few hours ago in bugzilla, i386 users have the i386
> > build (1.2.10), which is the latest in the repo.  And since your newer
> > i386 build is newer than the noarch build in the needsign queue, the users
> > would get the newest i386 build again even if the noarch build were
> > published, too.
>
> This is exactly what I want. I dont see a problem with that. I want the
> noarch pkg to go away as soon as the noarch->arch yum problem is fixed.
> For the time being, x86_64 users who already have the noarch pkg
> installed and do an upgrade will get the newer noarch pkg until yum is
> fixed.

Then it won't work, because there is no "newer noarch pkg" for x86_64.
There only is a newer x86_64 pkg: 1.2.11-1.fc6.2.{x86_64,i386}

http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/plague-results/fedora-6-extras/firmware-addon-dell/

Highest EVR wins version comparison and is published. Older EVR are
excluded and not published. So, the 1.2.11-1.fc6.1.noarch won't make it
into the repo, since the 1.fc6.2 release is newer. And for i386 that would
result in another switch, back from noarch to i386.

How else can I explain it late at night?