Did i just made the fastest dependency checker in the world? (198 packages in 1.5 seconds)

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:52:39 UTC 2007

check dependency`s :)
ultimately.. a new yum version which just takes a second or 2 to check the
dependency`s.

Perhaps you're not getting it.  RPM does not compare things such as "5.00504
> "
> vs "5.6", rather it breaks each part separated by a period into an
> individual
> item and compares those items.  In effect, it compares 5 to 5, then 00504
> 6.  Given that 00504 (which is really 504) is a larger number than 6 (or
> 00006 if you rather), the 5.00504 package is rpm newer than the 5.6package.

first off.. sorry for not understanding the rpm part.. i understand it now.
rpm clearly breaks all logic in version numbering. (atleast my point of view
for the version logic)

a question: what i still don`t get is where rpm is gonna step is.. aren`t i
just checking the dependency`s with php + mysql (c++ + mysql when it`s all
finished) and just use rpm to install / remove stuff?
that was what i had in mind.

if that isn`t possible than perhaps a patch should be written for rpm so
that it doesn`t check for versions anymore.. it just installs nomather what
you put in (version wise) and let my dep checker do all the version stuff.

also i didn`t have the idea to let rpm be the package manager.. just to
install rpm`s, remove rpm`s and get info about rpm`s. my repo checker will
do all the math work.

to put it simple.. rpm has to do this:
- install rpms
- remove rpms
- don`t ask questions and just DO what i tell it to do
- maintain the rpmdb
- get info about a rpm (if needed)

The dep checker needs to do:
- read the rpmdb to see what rpm`s are installed
- generate a list of new rpm`s that have to be installed (lets say for when
you want to install kdebase)
- send the install commands to rpm (which in turn adds the info to the
database and installs the rpm)

done?
this should be about it right?