Did i just made the fastest dependency checker in the world? (198 packages in 1.5 seconds)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 21:50:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 23:38 +0200, Mark wrote:
>         You could do that. But, do you really want your program coming
>         up with
>         different answers than the standard tools?
>
> if the "standard tools" are using logic that`s just no logic than yes
> someone needs to make a change

No, new tools have to be backwards compatible else it breaks the entire
toolchain that's been working for years.

>         This isn't really a issue for fedora core development list,
>         well, until
>         you have a drop in replacement for yum (which might be a
>         little while
>         off I think).
>
> you can say that (last part) again... it could take a long while till
> it`s done.. considering that i just know what pointers are in c++ and
> besides the pointers i know a few other basics but nothing interesting
> enough to be able to make this stuff in c++ and that`s the exact
> reason why i`m first making it in php.

So if you admit you have little programming knowledge and not even a
working prototype, can you PLEASE stop posting to this list.

>         Not to be rude, but could you start a sourceforce project and
>         then get a
>         mailing list to discuss this sort of stuff in private?
>
> not for now.

Then you are going to make yourself very unpopular.

>         This isn't really a issue for fedora core development list,
>         well, until
>         you have a drop in replacement for yum (which might be a
>         little while
>         off I think).
>
> Well i need to visions of the people here to make this stuff work so
> that`s one reason why i posted it here.
> i could make a sourceforge account and create a mailing list there but
> it`s highly unlikely that i would have gotten as much feedback as i
> get here. and in the end it`s all for fedora do why not post it here.
> (perhaps the fedora-list would have been a better place)

To be honest, I think you need to read some source code of rpm and yum
(and a good book on program design) before you start posting claims
about a super fast depsolver.

Sorry if this sounds harsh.

Richard.