Fedora review day revived?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Apr 12 03:47:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:21 +0200
fedora at leemhuis.info (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:

> On 11.04.2007 10:51, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Trond Danielsen wrote:
> >> with the growing number of contributors to Fedora, a challenge for
> >> new contributors who want to get involved is finding reviewers and
> >> sponsors for their packages. A quick look at
> >> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=FE-NEW&hide_resolved=1
> >>
> >> tells me that there are many packages waiting to get into Fedora.
> >> Somehow I think we should find a way to more quickly push packages
> >> through the review prosess, and otherwise close the bug if it
> >> can't be finished within a reasonable amount of time.
> >>
> >> I found this on the wiki:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/ReviewDay, and wondered if
> >> anybody would be interested in bringing it back to life? I think it
> >> would be good both for new contributors, and reviewers that could
> >> get help reviewing packages by experienced members of the
> >> community. I think once pr. month should be sufficent. Let me know
> >> what you think!
>
> I'd say the Review Days might work if there is someone that really
> drives the idea forward and gets enought people together on the review
> days to make this an event that people have fun at and want to join.

Perhaps. I was the one who tried the first few Review Days... they
never really took off. ;(
It might have more luck now since we have more developers...

> > I think that a much better solution would be to encouroage people
> > to exchange reviews, look for a package you find interesting that
> > needs a review and offer to review it in exchange for the submitter
> > reviewing one of yours.
>
> This seems to be a good approach and one that IMHO is more important
> than the review days. But it seems to me we might need to help people
> with the "exchange reviews" idea a bit more -- e.g. give people
> waiting for reviews more hints how to exchange reviews; maybe a
> document in the wiki might help. Maybe in addition a page that people
> can use to find each other.

Agreed. I think exchanging reviews is more spread out and sustainable
than trying to get everyone to gather for a review day.

Something in the wiki might work.
Or even just offerering on the fedora-devel irc channel.
Or on the mailing list.
Or even in bugzilla, just adding a "I would be happy to review this if
you could review #xyz" comment.

I don't have any submissions in right now, but I would also be happy to
be bribed to review packages in exchange for people triaging bugs in
bugzilla or other worthwhile project activities. ;)

> CU
> thl

kevin