DeltaRPM works great on Fedora Core 6 (yum presto plugin)

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:27:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 06:18 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Um, how is such testing to take place if there exist no (official)
> presto-enabled repos?
>
> I'm of the mind to "just do it", regardless of whether it is enabled by
> default or not.  fwiw, I don't think the tools to generate
> preso-compatible repos exist yet, so it may be a moot point, for now.
>
> -- Rex

Sorry I've been off fedora-devel the last few days, but we're in the
middle of Easter vacation here and my wife's sister is visiting, so
we're showing her the sights in Lebanon.

First off, as Rex mentioned, the tools to generate presto-compatible
repos are very much in the "alpha" stage, though that's what my focus is
on at the moment.  So, in many ways, this whole thing is moot, at least
for the next few weeks.

Jesse, I totally understand where you're coming from on the "it should
have been started in Rawhide".  I'm afraid that's my fault, though I'll
beg extenuating circumstances.  I live and work in Beirut where
broadband means anything but (thus my interest in the problem in the
first place).

Downloading FC6 took three days of tying up the school's internet.
Downloading Rawhide will take just as long.  That's why I haven't done
it yet.  All that to say, I will do what I can to get Rawhide ASAP.
I've even got 20 GB on my laptop's HD set aside for it.

Finally, when we do get to the point of "do we put deltarpms in the
master mirror", *if* we decide *not* to (for the many reasons mentioned
by those against the idea), is it possible for yum-presto in Extras to
point to the test server in the default .conf file?

I would obviously prefer to put the deltarpms directly on the master
mirror, but if that's not a possibility, I would at least like to make
it easy for people to install yum-presto and not worry about manually
editing .conf (or .repo) files.  (And yes, I do realize that this "a bad
thing".)

Jonathan