Yum-presto 0.3.9 - FC6 *and* Rawhide

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Apr 16 06:33:23 UTC 2007

Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> For the second group of users, keep a diff from the last update to the
> current one for each package. The replacement of these would be a
> little more complex to avoid losing delta updaters when multiple
> updates to the same package happen in a very short period of time. You
> would have to decide what is a reasonable amount of time to allow
> people to apply updates. If updates to a package happen multiple times
> within this time period, keep them all and let them get deleted as
> that time window passes.

I like this way of making sure a rapidly released series of updates to a
single package does not void the entire point of presto. This is pretty
much the scenario I was trying to accommodate with "all possible deltas"
but I realize that this is much better for the mirrors and diffs for
really old packages may not make enough sense anyway.

How about making the window 14 days? I personally tend to update every
day, but not all people do.

> I am not sure what format of diffs presto can handle now, but it would
> likely be better for the source and mirrors if the multiple
> incremental updates were kept in the format A->B, B->C, C->D, etc.
> instead of A->B, A->C, A->D, etc. That way, when a new update comes
> out, only a new file has to be generated and mirrored. Presto would
> have to know how to download and chain together a bunch of diffs to
> bridge versions though.

This would be cool, but given the packaging overhead (whatever that may
be) this will probably decrease the delta efficiency, potentially by a
great deal. In some cases this could certainly work, however.

> Just my thoughts on an excellent project.
>
> /Mike

/Thomas