Updates-testing on firstboot

Chris Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:09:43 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

Following a discussion on whether to move to 2.6.21 for FC6, Dave Jone's
made what I believe to be rather a good suggestion, namely offering
updates-testing as an option on first-boot - probably at the Additional CD's
stage. Dave has suggested "Would you like to test experimental updates?".
Possible caveat here.

Now I realise _additional_ options at install is not possibly what people
want but thought I'd punt it out seeing as we're all not doing anything
important at the moment :) Pros and Cons:

+ Updates-testing gets advertised and used more for its intended purpose
+ We get a middle ground between rawhide and updates
+ We catch silly errors with packaging etc

- Another option to confuse, befuddle and otherwise annoy the fledgling user
(I'm playing devil's advocate here)

Well?

Chris

--