Updates-testing on firstboot

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Sun Apr 22 19:14:52 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 09:47:47AM -0400, Jack Tanner wrote:
> Luke Macken wrote:
> >>I'm hoping that Bodhi[0] will eventually help improve updates-testing by
> >>allowing
> >>testers to get more involved with the whole process.  Once testers can
> >>provide positive/negative feedback to the devs regarding updates, I think
> >>that it will become much more utilized.
> >
> >Also, the fact that we're going to be forcing all non-security updates
> >to go into updates-testing first will help as well.
>
> Bodhi looks really interesting. What's its proper discussion forum?

Here or fedora-infrastructure-list is fine with me.

> In case fedora-devel is the proper forum, a question: what happens to
> updates that are in updates-testing and then fail community QA? Do their
> rpms get yanked from updates-testing? It seems that today, it's
> difficult to yank rpms, and the updates-testing repo has junk in it.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers/47277/focus=47278

The current update system definitely doesn't make pulling updates out of
the repos a simple task.  Bodhi, however, allows for unpushing
of testing updates; so now it is just a matter of defining a policy for
approving->pushing or rejecting->pulling test updates.

Once we have solid community involvement within the updates process
itself, we can maybe then require n positive approvals from community
testers, or a nudge from a Releng/QA lead in order to move a package from
Testing->Final.

John Poelstra and I have been working on Fedora update process
flowcharts[0] to help optimize and improve our workflow. Suggestions are
welcome.

luke

[0]: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/wiki/DesignTesting