Yum-presto 0.3.9 - FC6 *and* Rawhide

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:08:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 09:01 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> wow, presto rocks.
>
> $ yum update
> Size of all updates downloaded from Presto-enabled repositories: 4.7M
> Size of updates that would have been downloaded if Presto wasn't enabled:
> 130M
> This is a savings of 97 percent
>
> Jonathan, how goes the development of the server-side tools?  Are they
> getting close to releasing to the general public yet?  (release early,
> release often...).  :)
>
> -- Rex

Sorry, grades are due and I've been lax in doing my marking this term,
so I'm getting to catch up on it.

Createprestorepo is still not "production-ready", but it's now in the
git repository at
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto/browser/createprestorepo .
To use, first run makedeltarepo in the form:
$ makedeltarepo <repository base directory> <repository DRPM directory>

I normally run it in the repositories base directory with:
$ makedeltarepo ./ DRPMS/

Then run createprestorepo with the same options you would normally pass
createrepo...but it doesn't play well if you use createrepo in the same
directory.  You'll have to manually move some files around.  I use it
as:
$ createprestorepo ./

Warning, this is very unstable.  It won't wreck your rpms (I hope), but
it might screw up your repository files (*.xml.gz).  You'll have to take
some time to play with it to get it working.

Jonathan