Root filesystem encryption patch set

Thomas Swan thomas.swan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:28:24 UTC 2007

I would like to see these patches make it in for FC7 test4, although it may
be a tight squeeze.  Both patches should be against T3.  The only thing
missing here is anaconda support, but I will need some help on that.  I know
the anaconda support won't be for FC7 but we can make it happen for FC8.

The complete instructions for using the modified versions are posted on
www.cygnetech.com/linux/howtos/index.html<http://www.cygnetech.com/howto/linux_root_encryption.html>It
will be prettier at a later date, but I wanted to get this out to the
community as soon as possible.

In short, with the modified mkinitrd, you can massage a FC6 and FC7 (test3)
CD installation into a fully encrypted installation (sans boot media).   The
byproduct is being able to resume a hibernated session from an encrypted
disk as well as detected media for removable keys.

Extra functionality added to mkinitrd is ability to add persistent options
in /etc/mkinitrd.conf ... This also allows for some anaconda flexibility
when generating encrypted installation when we can get to that point.

I'll send this up through bugzilla as soon as I get my password reset.
ARGH!  Thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

--
The early bird may get the worm, but the it's the second mouse that gets the
cheese.