repotag in EPEL

Fri Apr 27 19:46:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 14:54 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > el5.epel still seems a bit redundant. Why not just forget the repotag
> > > and set the dist tag to epel5?
> > Other distros separate what is called the disttag from the repotag
> > (different concepts, the first is which distro version the package is
> > built for, the second is which repository the package belongs to), it
> > would be nice to keep that in epel so that it is compatible with
> > preexisting usage.
>
> So, really, we want %repotag to be ".el" and %dist to be "5"?

Repotag is meant for epel[*] only AFAIK, so the repository is not
Enterprise Linux but "epel" - which is separate from the base distro.

%dist is already ".elx" for epel, just as it is ".fcx" for fedora, where
x stands for the version of the distro. No need to change that.

> Alternately, the repotag should be _hard coded_ in the spec file. (For
> better or worse.)

The reason for not hard coding it is that not doing that enables the
same spec file to be used for both epel and extras (or now, fedora).

-- Fernando

[*]Goal: Make high quality packages that get developed and tested in
Fedora available for RHEL and compatible derivates like CentOS and
Scientific Linux.