Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Apr 28 09:55:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 06:07:50AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 13:53 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Will Woods wrote:
> > >
> > > General
> > >       * In previous test releases the default product was called
> > >         "Prime", but after feedback from Marketing and the community it
> > >         has been renamed simply "Fedora".

I think Red Hat marketing did a very bad job here. While "Fedora" is a
strong brand, it will create too much confusion.

"I installed Fedora, but there is no foo, where can I get it?"
"But it is in Fedora."
"I'm sure it isn't, I just checked again."
"OK, I also checked, it *is* there, are you blind?"
"OK, just to be sure (maybe it has another packagename), I installed
 everything, still no /usr/bin/foo. :("
"Everything from Fedora and still no foo? That is strange, BTW how
 long did it take to install everything, that must have taken quite
 some time."
"No, I have a fast DVD drive and I installed all packages of Fedora
 from there"

> > Are you referring to Red Hat marketing here? It certainly wasn't
>
> Yes.
>
> > discussed in Fedora Marketing. Where was this discussed publicly?
>
> To my knowledge it wasn't discussed on a public list.  Though it was
> debated in IRC several times.

Why not let Fedora marketing make a sane decision? RH marketing seems
not to know what "Fedora" is.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net