repotag in EPEL (was: Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070426) FESCO meeting)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Apr 29 15:21:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 07:58:28AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 11:58 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:18:53AM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to use the already existing %{?dist} distag and
> > > just change the way it is expanded in EPEL alone? That would
> > > actually avoid changing the spec file at all. I don't know if this
> > > might be a technical no-no for some reason in Fedora's build system.
> >
> > That was the suggestion I had made as well, and is the best technical
> > solution indeed:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/SteeringCommittee/Voting#head-efb18a3ff4ed343c4a8aa17dc0a8466bab8c9024
> >
> >  "A possible implementation is to extend %{?dist} to include the
> >   repotag. Since EPEL is targeting building software out of the former
> >   Fedora Extras pool of software which at this point in time uses
> >   %{?dist} in 2989 of 3049 (98%) it does indeed already have a disttag
> >   everywhere but the epel-release package. So that seems the least
> >   intrusive and fastest way to achieve this."
>
> The only "flaw" in that implementation is that it would not be
> implemented universally. 98% is not 100%.

But check out the remaining 2%: It's firmware and data files that
should not carry a disttag (and they should not even be rebuilt at
all).

> If (and this is still a big if) we want to implement repotags for EPEL,
> I think the best way is to take the packager out of the loop entirely,
> and append .epel to the release at the buildsystem layer.

Same goes for the disttag itself and when I brought up this request
some years ago to have an appendable "releasesuffix" macro for rpm the
god of rpm loudly laughed and looked away ;)

See for example (no rpm god involved)

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2005-February/msg00116.html

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net