Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 14:34:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> Fedora 7 Gnome Live CD
>> Fedora 7 KDE Live CD
>> Fedora 7 Everything
>>
>> All of these are good names.  You know what it is, just by looking at the
>> name.
>
> Except that none of the test releases of Fedora 7 called the GNOME live
> cd as that.  look at the announcement or
> http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/.  I have pointed this out several
> times before and this has not changed. Do you agree we need to call it
> by that name?

The answer, Rahul, is that "it depends".  If you're talking about it to
someone who doesn't know that there is a difference between Gnome and KDE,
then you can tell them about what a "live CD" is and hand them whichever
one you want, and they go about their merry way, and sometime later on in
their Linux education they'll learn about how there are multiple desktop
options.

For a long time Linux user who just wants to see the list of "all
available spins of Fedora 7", you have to spell it out specifically.

Under "Get Fedora" you can have two options.

1) I am new to Linux -- help me figure out which version of Fedora I want.
2) I am an expert -- just give me the full list and leave me alone.

> Setting aside the fact that that name is not acceptable for me as a
> board member we need to avoid such surprises. I don't know in which
> board meeting this was decided but I have missed the discussion or
> meeting. I am not finding fault with anyone but some public discussion
> should have happened in advisory board list or even here after getting
> input from Red Hat branding team.

Understood.

--
Max Spevack