RPM roadmapping

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 17:37:07 UTC 2007

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:53:43 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>
>> The main problem with using cpio is that individual files have a limit
>> of 2GB (which isn't a problem in most cases, but it is a limit).  Why
>> not push a newer cpio format that changes all 16-bit and 32-bit
>> records to 64-bit (along with specifying endienness)?
>
> What exactly is the use case of files larger than 2GB wrt RPM?

Believe it or not, I know of one piece of software with a 3GB (compiled)
regular expression automaton.  Though it'll never be a candidate for a
package in Fedora, it'd still be nice if the vendor could package it in
rpm.  The same is true for large datasets.

Frankly, it's useful for all the same reasons as having support for >2GB
files *at all* in the OS.

--
   Peter