Kernel Modules in Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 3 21:21:30 UTC 2007

Kelly wrote:

> Okay.  What happens if the kernel maintainers don't want a module in the
> kernel for some reason (we're seeing one here with the kqemu module)?  You
> have to compile from source?  There is a plan for that, right?

You can't just assume the kernel developers don't want a module that the
developer's have tried to submit as patches publicly in LKML. If the
module has no future in the kernel, I don't see how we are going to take
on the burden of maintaining it continuously forever. DKMS is a short
term hack that will only work when the interface doesn't change and with
the 2.6 kernel the amount of changes here are more often.

Rahul