First Fedora7 problem : KDE + Xorg + Fonts

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 5 23:05:42 UTC 2007

Kelly wrote:

> Experimentation I performed at the time showed that the problem was the system
> didn't have any way of properly finding the fonts.  When I started using xfs,
> the problem disappeared.  That is why I'm worried about it.

That should not happen in Fedora anymore.

> I don't remember exactly which version I was running, because I don't shut
> down my system very often (it runs as both a server and a desktop).  When I
> was configuring another Fedora system (with 7), I noted that Xorg wouldn't
> start without xfs.

Can you check in the system when you can and report the problem if it
exists with the Xorg log and information about your hardware (smolt
profile for instance)?

None of the Fedora 7 systems that I checked requires XFS. I suspect you
are just seeing this from a older version. I have XFS deamon disabled on
startup and no Xorg configuration at all and Fedora 7 has been working
fine including desktop effects. Dell D420 with Intel Xorg driver.

Rahul